Twisted Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Prep: 40 mins
Cook: 40 mins
- 350g YVC Persian Fetta tub – drain oil and reserve for cooking
- 500g packet of fusilli (spiral) pasta
- 1 onion – diced
- 400g mushrooms – sliced
- 280g spinach leaves
- 100g pancetta slices – roughly chopped
- 250ml (1 cup) full cream milk
- 350ml thickened cream
- 150g grated sharp cheddar-style cheese
- 200g grated parmesan cheese
- 100g panko crumbs
- salt flakes and black pepper to season
- Heat oven to 170ºC.
- Cook the pasta as per instructions on the packet and refresh under cold water.
- Heat about 80ml of reserved cheese oil in a large, deep saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion until transparent, about 5 mins.
- Add sliced mushrooms and the chopped pancetta cooking until both start to brown.
- Add spinach, allow to wilt then remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked pasta to the saucepan along with the milk, cream and cheddar cheese. Stir thoroughly.
- Break apart the Persian Fetta and add to the pan, folding through very gently. Spread mix evenly into a baking tray.
- For the topping, place the parmesan and panko crumbs into a mixing bowl and add a generous splash of reserved oil. Rub the mixture through with your hands until an even consistency is reached. Spread evenly on top of the pasta mix.
- Bake in the oven until crust is a deep, golden brown, 30-40 mins. Serve alongside a virtuous green salad.