Kale, Leek, Pinenut and Persian Fetta Filo Pies
Prep: 1 hr
Cook: 25 mins
- 1 leek finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 250g ricotta
- 350g Yarra Valley Cheese Persian Fetta
- 2 tbsp pine nuts toasted
- 150g butter melted
- 1 packet Filo pastry
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a saucepan, sauté leek, garlic, and kale with the olive oil until soft and a little caramelised. Add the chopped oregano and season to taste. Allow mixture to cool.
- Mix in the ricotta, Yarra Valley Cheese Persian Fetta and pine nuts.
- Melt the butter to liquid stage. Lay the sheets of filo out on a flat surface and cover with a clean, damp tea towel to stop the filo from drying out.
- Working with one sheet of filo at a time, use a pastry brush to brush the melted butter over the filo sheet. Lay a second filo sheet on top and brush with butter to cover, working quickly so the pastry doesn’t dry out.
- Sprinkle dollops of the fetta and kale mixture over the buttered filo. Lengthways gather and scrunch the pastry together until it is about ¼ of the width of a regular filo sheet. Starting at one end, twist the filo into a spiral shape.
- Place on a baking paper lined oven tray and repeat the process, until all the filo pastry and mixture have been used.
- Place the pies on the tray, wedged closely together to prevent them expanding as they cook.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg and cream until combined. Pour egg mixture into the filo spirals, making sure it sinks into all the gaps.
- Bake the pies in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the filo is golden and crisp and the egg mixture is set.
- To serve, cut around each pie with a small knife and lift from baking tray.