Baked Prawns, Fennel and YVC Persian Fetta
Prep: 35 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 150g YVC Persian Fetta – drain oil and reserve for cooking
- 500g prawn tails – uncooked
- 2 small fennel bulbs (or 1 large)
- 4 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 tsp fennel powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 150ml Ouzo or Pernod
- 2 x 400g tins of crushed tomatoes
- zest of one lemon
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt flakes and cracked black pepper
- 50g salted butter
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tsp Aleppo pepper or chilli flakes
- Fennel fronds
- Heat oven to 200 degrees.
- Remove core and fingers from fennel, reserving fronds for garnish, then finely slice remainder. In a large, deep frypan, add the reserved oil and gently sauté the sliced fennel, adding the garlic once it starts to soften. Cook for a further 5 minutes or so.
- Stir in the tomato paste and add Ouzo/Pernod. Bubble gently for 2-3 mins.
- Add the tomatoes, lemon zest, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes or until the sauce starts to thicken. Add a little water if needed.
- Place the sauce into a baking dish and press the prawn tails gently into the mixture, leaving the tails poking out a little.
- Gently crumble the Persian Fetta over the mixture and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Whilst prawns are in the oven, melt the butter over a low heat in a small saucepan, adding the lemon juice and chilli flakes. Cook slowly until the mixture starts bubbling 2-3 mins.
- Remove cooked prawn dish from oven and drizzle over butter mixture. Garnish with fennel fronds. Serve with crusty bread.